Montag, 28. Mai 2012

Let's have a little bit of classic.. how about some moonlit night?

I think it's time for a new series here.. Oh - you were waiting for that - weren't you? And since I happen to also like classic music - why not featuring some of that? I hope that some of you who are interested but not too much into it yet get some pieces of information and maybe will go on explore the world of classic music on their own.. I certainly hope so.. I am trying to pick not too difficult pieces - just because I wish to be those posts kind of "amuse-gueule" or "appetizer"..



Since it is the birthday of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau today (who passed away some days ago) it might be a good moment to make his acquaintance, too.. So instead of presenting the composer or writer this time I will focus on the singer.. Not too much info - this shall merely give you enough info to not feel inferior when someone starts talking about him.. (well.. actually this is how most of my blog posts are meant..)

So here are just a few facts about



Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau 

(May 28, 1925 (Berlin, Germany) - May 18, 2012 (Berg, Germany) 

  • He was the singer who is most recorded - of all-time.

  • He sung Operas, Oratorio and Lieder (=art songs) - which means that he had quite a wide range in his repertoire - in German, Italian and English. He also recorded songs in Hebrew, French, Russian and Hungarian.

  • He was one of the most influencual singers of the 20th century. 





Though his "speciality" were Lieder by Schubert - I will present today Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau singing MONDNACHT (Night of the Moon) by Robert Schumann (1810-1856).

~ Robert Schumann ~
It is part of Schumann's LIEDERKREIS (= song cyrcle) - that means it is a collection from several songs - in this case 12 Lieder/songs. It was released in 1840. The texts are from German poet Joseph Freiherr von Eichendorff (1788-1857) - one of my favourites. This is also why I picked this song - I simply love the lyrics which are just beautiful - please excuse my crumbled English translation.. I hope it works..

German:
English:

Es war, als hätt' der Himmel
It was like Heaven had
Die Erde still geküßt,
Quietly kissed the Earth,
Daß sie im Blütenschimmer
That in blossom's shimmer
Von ihm nur träumen müßt.
She had to dream of him.


Die Luft ging durch die Felder,
The air went through the fields,
Die Ähren wogten sacht,
The ears of corn were heaving gently,
Es rauschten leis die Wälder,
The woods swept quietly,
So sternklar war die Nacht.
This starlit was the night.


Und meine Seele spannte
And my soul spanned
Weit ihre Flügel aus,
It's wings widely,
Flog durch die stillen Lande,
Flew through the silent lands
Als flöge sie nach Haus.
As if it was flying home


Well.. yes.. my translation does not rhyme.. but it's true to the original.. at least.. 

~ DAS KOLOSSEUM IN EINER MONDNACHT (The Colosseum in a moonlit night)
by Carl Gustav Carus (1789-1869)


Here is finally the song:




Thank you very much for listening!

Yours 

Irene


1 Kommentar: